Corporate History

NGL is proud of our rich, 100-year history of providing high-quality insurance products. We are a successful, independent mutual insurance company because we focus on people. Our longevity reflects our business philosophy – offer superior products and build strong relationships.

Founded in 1909, our first insurance policy – valued at $5,000 – was sold a year later. Throughout the years, NGL grew by being active in the merger and acquisition arena, increasing our size significantly through these transactions.

Today, NGL is a vibrant organization with a clear direction. We offer products in 49 states and the District of Columbia with a focus on preneed, individual life and annuities, as well as group markets, including specialty and student insurance.

It's an honor for NGL to partner with customers to share life's financial risks and rewards. We owe our achievements to our policyholders, agents and employees. And, we look forward to providing coverage and serving our community for the next 100 years.

History Milestones

2015

NGL acquired the individual life and annuity business of Madison National Life Insurance Company (Madison, WI). The acquired business consists primarily of ordinary life, universal life and annuities totaling approximately $260 million of reserves representing 280,000 policyholders.

The company entered into the individual long-term care insurance market.

It was a record year with $3.8 billion in consolidated statutory assets and $3.5 billion in consolidated liabilities for 2015.

2013

Mark L. Solverud is appointed President & Chief Executive Officer.

2012

NGL entered into an affiliation with Commercial Travelers Mutual Insurance Company (Utica, NY). This marks NGL's entrance into the student accident and health market, as well as permitting NGL access to the state of New York.

commercial travelers mutual insurance company

John D. Larson retires as Chief Executive Officer after 43 years of service. Larson remains Chairman of NGL's Board of Directors.

2011

NGL reached 1 million policyholders.

2010

NGL celebrated its 100th anniversary. The year-long celebration included a $100,000 donation to Madison College. The gift created an endowment for scholarships to Madison College.

From left to right: Mark Solverud (President and CEO, NGL), Bob Dinndorf (Executive Director, Madison College Foundation), John Larson (Chairman, NGL) and Bettsey Barhorst (President, Madison College).

2009

It was an honor for NGL to receive the Outstanding Business Award for National Philanthropy Day from the Association of Fundraising Professionals Greater Madison Chapter.

The award is presented to a larger business/corporation (100+ employees) that demonstrates outstanding commitment through financial support and motivation of others to take leadership roles toward philanthropy and community involvement.

Settlers Life Insurance Company, a subsidiary of National Guardian Life Insurance Company celebrated 25 years!

2008

Consolidated statutory assets for NGL exceed $2 billion, with surplus of nearly $161 million. The number of policyholders now exceeds 820,000.

2004

Sales of life products, as measured by premium, set a record at $120 million.

2001

Transitioned all career agents to independent status and enter into an alliance with Crossroads Financial Group LLC, an independent marketing organization owned and controlled by NGL former career general agents.

Organized Preneed Reinsurance Company of America (Preneed Re) as a subsidiary for reinsurance of preneed insurance written by select independent marketing organizations.

1999

NGL purchased Settlers Life Insurance Company (Bristol, VA) adding more than 350,000 policies and certificates. With this transaction, NGL has consolidated statutory assets of $1 billion and policyholder surplus of $100 million.

1997

NGL entered the preneed market in Michigan and Wisconsin by purchasing Guarantee American Life Insurance Company. It was redomesticated to Wisconsin and renamed NGL American Life Insurance Company.  Preneed life insurance helps to cover the expenses of a funeral or cremation.

 

1989

President John D. Larson appointed Chief Executive officer after retirement of Chairman Lawrence J. Larson.

1988

New laptop computers are introduced to employees. Below, Leonard Lane, NGL employee, demonstrated how to use one of the high-tech computers.

1984

National Guardian Life Insurance Company celebrated 75 years of business.

1974

President J. Clayton Howdle appointed Vice Chairman of the Board and John D. Larson appointed President.

1969

President Lawrence J. Larson appointed Chairman of the Board & Chief Executive Officer. J. Clayton Howdle appointed President.

1967

NGL installed its first computer system.

1965

Moved into present corporate headquarters at Two East Gilman Street. This is the fifth office location since the company was founded.

1964

A new logo was developed - it is an icon of NGL's ideals. Learn more about what the logo means here.

 

Below is a bird's-eye view during the construction phase of the new NGL building located at Two East Gilman Street.

1959

New audio-visual "sales kits" are used by agents. The cutting-edge technology was implemented to help increase sales.

1957

Lawrence J. Larson appointed President.

1948

$100 million of insurance in force is reached. NGL celebrated the milestone with 250 guests at the Loraine Hotel. Awards and prizes were given to outstanding members for service, production and other achievements.

1944

Richard S. Boissard appointed President.

1941

NGL moved to 152 East Gilman Street (now known as Verex Plaza).

1938

The company picnic took place at Camp Indianola (now Governor Nelson State Park) on Lake Mendota. 

1936

NGL transitioned from a stock company to a mutual company upon agreement of the Board of Directors. As a mutual company, NGL's first priority is our policyholders and all decisions are made to positively impact their financial security for the long-term.

1933

Continued company growth required a move to larger quarters in the Wisconsin Power and Light Building (now known as the Hovde Building).

1920

"National" was added to the company name when Germania Life Insurance Company became the Guardian Life Insurance Company of America in 1918.

1918

By 1918, business was growing and it was time to move into a larger space. NGL moved into the Bank of Wisconsin Building (now known as BMO Harris).

1917

Employees assembled together for a picture by the Wisconsin State Capitol in Madison, WI.

1913

George A. Boissard is appointed President. Boissard started working for the company in 1910 with a salary of $4,000 per year.

Below George Boissard is pictured working in the President's Office.

1910

The company's first life insurance policy was issued for $5,000.

1909

The Wisconsin State Life Insurance Company was organized as a stock company in Madison, WI. This was NGL's start and its first name.

James A. Frear was the first President.

NGL's first office was located at the Washington Building (now known as U.S. Bank) from 1909 to 1918.